Stat Counter

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Blueberries, Dogs, Reorganization


I breathed a sigh of relief as we pulled into the driveway Sunday night: home. Home and it feels so good. Westmont was so, so good to me this year. I learned a lot, laughed a lot, was challenged a lot, and generally a lot just happened. I’m thankful for the growth and learning that happened there, and am equally excited for all that this summer has to offer.

I’m ready for a summer in the valley. I’m ready for hot summer days and the sound of the whole house fan at night. I’m ready for sweet strawberries and barbeques and Sunday mornings back at church. I’m ready to take the dog on long walks at dusk and listen to country music in my car and go to kickboxing classes at the gym. I’m ready for trips to Target and $5 movies. I’m ready to rest, take a step back, and enjoy these next few months before a whirlwind semester traveling to 11 different countries in Europe. I’m stoked, 2012 is turning out to be a crazy, wonderful year.

Some happenings since coming home:

Nesting: I decided that my room needed a little revamping. It’s been the same for a long time, so moving some furniture and changing up some decorations is giving me fresh perspective and motivation. I’ve been in the therapeutic deep cleaning mode these past few days and have made some surprising discoveries, including a bag of half a dozen toilet paper rolls from my TPing days and enough dust to make a hypoallergenic sneeze.

Reading for fun: What a concept! I’m already deep into a book, Learning to Swim by Sara Henry, and will soon supplement fun reading with summer school textbooks. Lets hope I’ll be as motivated to read textbooks as I am these fun books (a girl can dream, right?).

On our own: A few hours after my dad left for a business trip today, my mom and I encountered a little plumbing emergency involving lettuce and a temperamental garbage disposal. The situation got worse as the water level in several sinks rose and we were suddenly bombarded with calls from telemarketers. It was comical, but I must say, we handled it quite well. And by handling it well, I mean we erupted in fits of laughter and watched transfixed as the problem magically fixed itself. We decided the disposal just had a little hitch in its giddy-up.

Blonde moment of the week: Due to my great ability to accumulate belongings, we borrowed a car to move me out in. The symbols on the car’s clicker had worn off, so when my mom asked me if I thought the red button was the lock button, I of course answered yes. The lock button is always red, isn’t it? Well, as you might imagine, that was the panic button and the car alarm went off as I stood doubled over in laughter and my mom tried to turn it off. Priceless. Note to self: red button = panic.

Here's to the first week of a sweet, sweet summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment