Stat Counter

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Redemption Story


9/11 - 9/14

Geneva taught me an important lesson: don’t judge a city by the street your hostel’s on.

Basically, our hostel was in the ghetto of Geneva. We were told not to walk two blocks in because we’d have walked right into the red light district. Stay by the lake and travel in packs. We were stuck in purgatory. We’d just left Interlaken – beautiful, breathtaking Interlaken – and next we’ll be in Paris. Poor Geneva got the short end of the stick. So for the past four days, we’ve been stuck in this awkward phase, longing to be in Paris and not impressed by Geneva.

But all is a gift, even the gifts or places or situations that seem manna-strange. I’m determined to eat the manna, I’m thankful for the gift Geneva has been. I’ve gotten 8 hours of sleep every night, some good chunks of homework done, and I haven’t felt the pressure, or desire for that matter, to go out and explore the city, because there’s not much around our humble hostel abode. I’m ready for Paris, I think we all are, but I’m reminding myself to live in the moment. I’m in Geneva, Switzerland, Geneva, Switzerland.

And this is a story of redemption, now, remember? The same story of redemption told over and over again, in each of our lives and in the lives of people before us and the people that will come after us. Geneva was redeemed. She was brought out of exile on a beautiful Thursday afternoon. After class we piled onto public transportation and ventured over to the Old Town of Geneva. I breathed a sigh of relief as we hopped off the tram; this is what I was hoping for. Tree lined streets, parks with big white marble gates and rod-iron fences, crowds forming around intense games at life-sized chessboards. Cute shops, dusty antique stores, and cafes dotted the hilly, cobblestone streets.

So I did what I’d done so often with my parents this past summer  – I climbed. Up the windy staircases of the Geneva Cathedral, ducking through dark rooms until finally I emerged in the open air. Need to clear your mind? Climb some stairs and get a panoramic view, a fresh perspective of a city you’ve already passed judgment on. I soaked it all in, the kaleidoscope of roofs and windows and chimneys too numerous to count. The mountains on three sides and the beachy lake on the fourth. I ate my apple and breathed and thanked God that I was wrong about Geneva.

To finish up Switzerland:
·      We hopped the border to France on Friday and spent some time in a glacier ice cave in Chamonix. It was crazy. And cool. And beautiful. I need a new word besides beautiful. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

·      Swiss currency is probably my favorite currency in the world. Its lovely with its rich, saturated colors and oddly sized coins (the ½ franc coin was the size of a penny), but that still didn’t make up for how expensive everything in Switzerland was. We’re all excited to be back in the Euro and an all -around cheaper lifestyle.

Magic happens when you allow it to, when you clear your palette and open your mind to whatever may come. God has been so gracious to us on this trip. His protective hand is upon us and before us and after us. It’s time for 8 days in Paris. Goodbye mountains, cows, chocolate, and watches. Hello crepes, baguettes, berets, and all things French. I’m ready to see Paris in the fall.

Good night, friends. Thank you for reading this, for investing yourself into my life and my stories this semester. I can’t tell you how grateful I am for your prayers and support and friendship. Y’all are the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment