Stat Counter

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How a Yoga Mat Changed My Summer


All the cool people at the gym have their own yoga mats. Have you ever noticed that before? You know someone's the real deal if they walk into class with their own mat. Watch out, world. One day, amongst a sea of blue and purple yoga mats, I noticed one with words on it. The text caught my eye, so as I was putting my weights away I looked over to see what it said. "Do what you want to do, and do it often." Huh. It was the end of class, so I quickly grabbed my water bottle and car keys and headed home. Driving through my neighborhood, I couldn't get that phrase out of my head. 'Do what you want to do, and do it often.' 

It's so easy to get caught up with work and school and life that we forget to actually enjoy ourselves. We forget to really live, to do the things that make us happy and make us come alive, purposefully. They are good for our souls and good for our mental health. These small things have the power to bring joy and renewed purpose into our lives. They deserve to be done - often. The 10 simple words printed on that mat have shaped my entire summer.

Do what you want to do, and do it often.

So, I thought about all the things that I want to do and like to do, and I've been doing them. Simple, yet profound. Oh the paradox of it all. I've been eating spinach salads, walking the dog, taking kickboxing classes at the gym. Sitting on the back porch reading, watching old TV shows and reruns of Castle, running for miles. Loving on children. Writing letters to friends. Smiling. Painting. Emptying the dishwasher (yes, I enjoy emptying the dishwasher, quite a lot, in fact). Hugging 2-year-old babes and putting band-aids on 4-year-old scraped knees. Catching up with high school friends. Eating copious amounts of broccoli and corn on the cob and pineapple and greek yogurt. Writing down the funny things the kiddos at work say so I can report back to my parents. Spending serious time in the Bible. Reading books that challenge and grow my faith. Drinking lemonade and peach tea. Baking fruit crisps and crumbles with whatever fruit’s in the fridge. Buying food for the food bank. Jumping in the pool after a sweaty workout. Writing letters to soldiers overseas and Christians in prison overseas. Eating dark chocolate on the deck while doing summer school (anything to make summer school a little sweeter). These are things that I love to do, that I want to do, a (short) list of the simple, daily things that make me happy and make me a better person. This is my one life to live, so I’m doing those things that make me come alive, and I’m going to do them often. 

Here's to yoga mats and the simple life. I hope you do what you want to do, and I hope you do it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment