Stat Counter

Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Relatives Came, Part 2


This is Myvy Ngo.



She is outrageous and she is an organizer. Anyone in her life will tell you that she "loves like a linebacker." And she paid one of the most expensive single airplane tickets in the world to come out here and visit me. But not to be a tourist and see all the sights, oh no. Her main purpose of the trip? To help me teach summer school and help organize our apartment and be there for me. Who travels over 5,500 miles just to help someone clean and organize their apartment and kill cockroaches? 

Myvy Ngo did. She is a champ.

Normal people in life try to hide all their clutter in closets or the basement when visitors come, but not me, not this time. I knew I couldn't do it alone. So, in hard moments of vulnerability I said, "Help." And she didn't judge me. She gave me a hug when I needed to cry about my second years leaving and told me to relax while she worked her magic and organized what she deemed our "Clearance Aisle" shelf into a beautiful, organized shelf. We ate shave ice and cooked and did life together, Micronesian style, for a few weeks. 

There's nothing better than making a commitment and having a friend who will not only stand by and support you in that commitment, but who dives into it, too. Myvy sends me a package every month and has read more articles about Micronesia than I have. She sends letters and postcards and reminds me that I am loved and cared for. She even sent packages to my community mates! Having her in my corner this year has helped me through some of the hardest moments of my service. 

She's the crazy, fun sister that I always wish I had. You're the best, Myvs, and I can't wait to be reunited next summer!




Sometimes you hike and it starts pouring and you take a picture

Gaining some altitude while climbing Sokehs Rock



Baby pineapple on top of Sokehs Rock


Myvy made a cake to celebrate Mio's birthday!







No comments:

Post a Comment